Orange Spinning Frozen Snowflake Smiley face

Sunday, July 16, 2017

FIGHT => FiGHT


Conflict management
First of all, why my title is FIGHT to FiGHT, this is because conflict always starts off with both parties being egoistic, having a big "i" symbolises the self-centeredness. I would like to share some insights which I strongly agree.

What do you think or infer from this simple picture? In the past, I will always be regarded as the white human in the middle. I believe to most, the focus and emphasis would be on the people who are fighting. But to me, I always think that the person being in the middle of such situation is the most courageous. That's not the main highlight of this blog post. However, I would like to touch on "him", the middleman. In this picture, he is holding the 2 men apart, preventing the fight. He needs to be respected by both parties, he needs to be physically stronger, mentally brave to step forward. At the same time, he needs to be the rational guy to solve or at least delay this situation until both parties apply their 6 seconds model. Why hold the head and not the shoulder? I choose to infer that the artist is trying to bring across to readers that both parties are irrational and not using their heads to think with their fist clenched and held up high. Does the colour white represent impartial, purity like our PAP? Do leave a comment and share with me your insights too!


What are your best tips on conflict management? Personally, I strongly live on these few tips which I gathered throughout my years of experience with conflicts. I would always put the blame onto myself instead of pointing fingers and complaining what the other party did wrong. I start to blame myself before slowly letting them realise they made some mistakes themselves too. Also, when we are sharing, we should never interrupt and listen attentively. Sometimes, there cannot be a perfect solution and a compromise cannot be made, such as safety. However, following the above steps will definitely ease the tension. Only then will we be able to think logically and sit down to discuss calmly for other alternatives. I believe in starting a prayer if you could, right before the argument, or when you feel that you lost control of your own emotions. Yes, you may laugh, but my main reason is not for you to seek forgiveness or help from God. This is for you to apply the 6 second model, acting as a form of reflection and mediation. I do hope that the next time you encounter such situation, you will be able to remember these humbles insights from me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interesting and insightful extra post, Eugene. I'm glad to see that you're internalizing the content from the module as a means of responding to real world needs. Humble insights indeed!

    ReplyDelete