Orange Spinning Frozen Snowflake Smiley face

Friday, May 12, 2017

Descriptive Reflection: Strengths and Challenges in Communicating

What is communication? To me, words are merely a medium for us to relate meanings which leads to communication. Instead of using a river as a metaphor, mine is a magnet. For interpersonal communication, two magnets with like poles that repel symbolises both parties cannot be speaking at the same time. To build relations, only one party should be speaking while the rest are listening. The constant magnetic field surrounding it would be the environment and the noise and could also symbolise intra-communication. Personally, I feel that one of my strengths in communicating is that I am very open-minded as I can talk to anyone about anything under the sun. I love to interact and I find joy in making new friends, having heart to heart talks. I also believe that I am a good listener. Stories make me ponder and like a sponge, I absorb every bit of information from the speakers. Through these stories, I will be able to learn and gain experiences, without having to physically go through them myself. Yet I would know the outcome and even the precautions to take when I encounter such events.

However, my strength can be pose challenges too. Being equipped and exposed to these experiences, sometimes I feel that I am actually “entertaining” my friends when they share their common stories with me. This is because right after I know what they are implying or suggesting I already relate to their stories and already know how to advice, console or react to their actions. Another challenge is that I feel after years of experiences in the sales and marketing industry, I tend to be overly convincing and with such magnitude of influence, it is easy to manipulate others, sometimes even without me knowing. Thus I have to constantly remind myself to put myself in the others shoes. However most of the time I will have a dilemma, what if my decision and the results are for his own well being but he could not see the it. Should i still enforce it or let him regret only when he finally realised? For me, I am the type of person that I would rather you hate me now, than to go against my morals and let you be.

Today, during the lesson, when discussing the topic on “meaning are words”, I came out with the example of person 'B' scolding person 'A', person 'A' should not react by scolding him, but understand that he is angry and at that point of time, words are not the real meaning whereas the reason behind his actions are. It struck me that being a hot-tempered person myself, I always fail to react appropriately. Thus, one of the objectives I would like to achieve towards the end of this module would be understanding and decoding others’ messages in as many perspectives as I can in the shortest amount of time, before my body or rage takes over my mind. All these while, I thought it was because of anger management but maybe it is because the message conveyed is unclear which leads to misunderstandings. Another objective would be to broaden my perspective and learn with an open heart. Thus I hope to be able to contribute as much as i could in class, to be able to induce thinking so that others would be able to learn as much as i learnt from them. Lastly, i would like to end this post with this quote below, which I find it very meaningful.

5 comments:

  1. Communication has many different ways of being described. Being able to understand yourself and know your communication style is important. Also knowing the pros and cons of that style and what effects you can have on others and the role-play. Your attitude to wanting to learn more about different people is a trait which is good in the long run as we all grow as people and learn from different experiences. We are not the same person from a year ago. I am also happy to learn that you can identify your flaws as that is something many people lack or not brave to acknowledge what they are good and bad in but do their best everyday of their life to improve for a better future for yourself and for others who will spend their time with you. Thank you for such an insightful post about yourself so far and what you learn.

    - Wee Zhen Yang

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eugeen, I envy your strengths in communication as I am lacking a lot of it. Although you describe yourself as hot-tempered, I think you are in control as you are aware of it. Overall I really enjoy your blog post especially your metaphor of magnetism as communication but at the same time I wonder whether it may be ambiguous for some people. You may want to do some changes here “ environment and the noise and could also” . I am glad to find out more about you and thank you for sharing your experience in communication.

    Lin Zaw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eugene, you have a very interesting idea of what communication is. It is good that you're able to interact well with your peers and that would be to your advantage when you enter the working world.

    I agree that action speaks louder than words like you mentioned. Non-verbal cues are important to look out for during communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eugene,

    The main thing to note in your blog post is its language use, particular in regards to sentence structure and grammar. While there isn't any glaring or major issues, some parts of it can be tweaked for better optimization, since there is a bit of redundancy at certain places.

    The major issue lies in the overuse of "I". Even though the post is written in first-person, using 'I' so frequently leads to it being somewhat redundant, since its already been established that 'I' am the POV/subject of the sentence. Some other times, you end up placing commas in wrong locations, giving your post an odd read flow since it keeps getting interrupted at odd times. For example "Stories made me think and I see myself as-", this line shows both these problems and feels somewhat awkward due to odd reading pace and redundancy. Instead, it should be "Stories made me think and see myself as".

    In another case "I love to interact and I find joy in making new friends, having heart to heart talks", it can be better refined into "I love to interact with others, as I find joy in making new friends and having heart to heart talks". These are small, minor changes, but they do help in smoothing out the text pacing and making it easier to read out.

    That aside, your post is quite good. Content is quite clear, and I find your perspective on your "strength" to be quite interesting; being overly convincing is an odd thing to have as a strength AND a weakness, and would like to see how it develops in future.

    Also your blog is pretty neat visually. Love the fireworks, mouse cursor and all the other extras.

    ReplyDelete